Every music teacher I’ve ever met has had a horrible-day experience where they thought something like: I love my career but I hate my job. I love my students, but I hate teaching. I love music, but my administration is driving me crazy. There’s always a “but” in there somewhere.
Today my guest is Leslie Moffat, author of I Love My Job But It’s Killing Me.
Leslie and I discuss how you can easily turn things around. It’s possible to shift your life and your teaching to create a better experience for yourself, and for your students. Best of all, it’s simpler than you think. Leslie has some great suggestions, and she speaks from profound experience. Your jaw will drop as you hear the struggles she’s been through and the simple things she’s done to completely transform her life, all without leaving her career teaching high school band.
This episode is a gift, especially to all of our high school band colleagues who are juggling so much, especially with marching band season in full force.
This Episode Is Also Available On:
- Teaching is hard work. Being responsible for hundreds of children every day takes a lot of physical and mental stamina. If teachers are going to build successful music programs without burning out, they need to have resources and strategies to sustain themselves so they can thrive and help their students do the same in the classroom.
- What happens during the first four minutes of your class sets the tone for how productive the rest of the class will be. This episode includes a few key strategies for setting your rehearsals up for success before you even play a note.
We’ve also created a Morning Meditation Checklist to help guide and encourage you. Simply share your email with me below and you can download it for free.
Please Take Our Survey
We are committed to improving this podcast all the time. Since you are the reason it exists, it only makes sense that we ask you how we might improve. Please take this short survey to let us know what you’d like to hear in future episodes.
- The Beautiful No
- I Love My Job but It’s Killing Me
- Gentle wake-up apps
- Virtual Honor Band
- Learn more from Leslie
- The Music Educator’s Guide to Thrive
- The Professional Music Educator Blog
- Try SmartMusic for Free