Marty Magnini, Cary Grove Comm. H.S.
Marty has been using accompaniment technology since the Vivace days, and has many great SmartMusic tips for educators of all experience levels. Take a few minutes to hear his story at the 2014 Midwest Clinic. If you were interested in the mail merge concept that Marty describes, take a look at the second video that outlines a new feature in SmartMusic: rubrics. If a 5×5 (or smaller) rubric is adequate for your assessment needs, then SmartMusic has a great solution and a streamlined workflow that will accomplish the same documentation as a mail merge. Also, rubrics are now fully functional with Gradebook and SmartMusic on iPad, so give it a try on your next assignment!
In this video, Marty talks about how all 160 of his high school students have SmartMusic at home. Because of this, he is able to:
- Incorporate SmartMusic in the registration fee
- Test all scales every semester using the SmartMusic assessment score
- Listen to every student on all other assignments
- Make students achieve an 85-90 % on a piece before rehearsing as an ensemble
- Difference between pieces prepared with SmartMusic to those without is night and day
- Export excel files and do a mail merge to include additional comments
- Improve sight reading and document the progress of every student
Rubrics in SmartMusic