Perfect for a classroom lesson, virtual assignment, extra credit, or an activity for a substitute teacher, this fun and free Roll a Composition activity will help spark your students’ creativity and get started on an original composition based purely on chance!
How it works:
- Click here to access and print out the free PDF, and have a dice on hand.
- Follow the steps in the PDF, rolling the dice to determine the time signature, tempo, key, and first note value/rhythm, and pitch.
- Based on the results of each roll, begin notating your composition in the Compose app in SmartMusic.
- Continue rolling the dice to determine each next rhythm and pitch (or rest!) in the composition.
- Use the blank table at the bottom of the document to add your own criteria for rolling your composition!
- Play the composition to see how it sounds!